prep time: 15 min | cook time: 20 min
- Cheese – You can use any cheese you like. I like a mix of sharp cheddar and gruyere to give a bit of depth of flavor, but you can always just use all-cheddar or add in some other cheeses.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 12 ounces beer, a pale ale of your choice
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar, see Note 1
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, see Note 1
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Peel and mince garlic.
- Quarter and then mince onions.
- If not bought pre-shredded, grate your cheeses.
- Crack open a second ale to drink while cooking.
- Cook onion and garlic in butter over medium-low heat until they soften, about 8-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and whisk in flour.
- Whisk in milk, broth, and beer.
- Stir in worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Add cheese in by the handful, stirring continuously until melted. Repeat until you’ve used up all your cheese.
- Serve with some beer battered fries.
Leave a Reply